Buenas! Back from Lagos, Portugal from what I can assure you was a MUCH needed vacation. I'm sure you're thinking..."what a brat, that girl travels all the time". True. I've done so much sight seeing, traveling, and touristy things the past four months that all I wanted was an actual vacation. One where I didn't have to worry about finding a bus, missing a plane, but just lay out on a beach and catch some rays. Solution = Lagos. If you have never gone...go! Lagos was so beautiful and the weather was awesome. I was alright with taking a 6 hour bus ride from Granada. A group of maybe 150 students jumped on the two charter buses at 6am Friday morning. We got the Lagos around 1:30 after the 3 mandatory stops in between. We stopped at the cliffs just a little ways from our hotel. They were awesome -- and the water so blue. Below there were people on cute little boats riding next to the cliffs, between the huge rocks that shot out off the ocean, and under the arches.
It was a quick stop because everyone wanted to spend their free time at the beach. Right below our hotel was a cute cove with cliffs on all sides and a big rock we could jump off of in front! The water was gorgeous and it was so much fun getting to catch some rays, throw an actual American Football, and relax! For the night we went out to the "Na-Na-Ba" Restaruant which makes a Top 50 (in the world) Burger!!! So of course I got it..and DANG was it good. It was called "The Tucan" and had a giant onion ring, bacon, an egg, and pineapple on it.It was beautiful, sitting there next to the HUGE drop off cliffs and the light house watching the sunset. Definitely a sunset to remember!
When we got back into Lagos, the bus had dropped us off downtown. We had followed the guide around looking for a Thai food place. Turns out they were so busy they didn't have any rice left?! So we took the guide's advice and tried out this American style restaurant called "Rockefellers". It was very good! I had some bacon macaroni and cheese. I know its stupid, but I think the food I miss most from home is a box of Kraft's macaroni and cheese! Afterwards we went to a different places downtown. Sunday morning was absolutely beautiful. So after our breakfast we had threw together some sandwiches from the cold ham and cheese from breakfast (poor college student 101) and grabbed our stuff to head to the beach. We laid out for a while and as the tide started rising we were getting hotter and hotter. So we decided to jump in the water and jump off the rock. Brr the water was very cold and the climb up this HUGE rock was hard. It really wasn't a rock. It was more like corral. You could see the entire thing was made up of white sea shells and boy were they sharp. Many people got cut up as they climbed up. I consider myself one of the lucky ones. Now I'm not a fan of heights, like my Dad, but you only live once right? So I jumped!! And had to go a second time too :) But then that was it for me! Warmed up on the beach again, freshened up in the hotel, bought some snacks for the ride home and grabbed a late little lunch of vegetable soup at a local cafe. There are just as many ugly stray-looking dogs without leashes in Portugal as there are in Spain. So we were accompanied by a limping, no toothed old dog who desperately wanted a spoonful. Probably not. I was so happy to see Granada at 2:30am Monday morning. Nothing like a quick 5 1/2 hour sleep before my four hour class Monday morning.
| One of our tour guides |



But time won't stop. I have 9 days left in Spain and I will be breathing in that fresh Iowa air in 10. This weekend I have a Goodbye dinner with my program, a two page paper due, and a day trip to a beach town, Nerja, on Saturday. The bucket list is dwindling to a few things left and my camera card space is getting smaller and smaller. This must mean one thing....its almost time for me to come home.
Thanks for reading...look for my next blog in a week!



No comments:
Post a Comment