Sunday, February 19, 2012

Ronda, Sevilla & all around Spain

It has been a while since I have posted on my blog. Only because I have been so busy! Two weekends ago (Friday, Feb 10) I left for a weekend trip to Ronda, Spain! It is a little town that was built on a cliff. The city is connected by a giant bridge. UNFORTUNATELY, I can't upload any of those pictures because Mom and Dad are going there when they come in 16 days! So I don't want to ruin the surprise. It was so nice to get a break from the city life of Granada. It reminded me more of home with the open spaces and agriculture surrounding the small town atmosphere. --Doesn't quite look like home though ;)


 Also there is a lot of history which I know Dad will love, and about everything is "picture perfect" which I know will have mom going nuts on the camera. We had amazing weather too which just topped off the perfect weekend. Side note: I learned in class that Granada is having an unusually cold winter...just my luck. But I know its warmer than at home so I can't complain! Also, stayed in my very first Hostel. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be! The view was well worth the 15euro we each paid to stay there, it was clean and the people were super friendly who were staying there as well. The only thing that got me was when I went to make the bed.....apparently you sleep INSIDE of the sheets? haha


Busy week with classes every day from 9am-1pm. Been spending time in the gym still working hard to stay in shape for volleyball. Also needing to stay in shape from all the delicious food I've been eating! Here are a few pictures of some meals I've been getting...


Jacqulin made us PIZZA one night! So good (: But a rarity!
Normally we don't eat in the kitchen. But we were late for lunch this day.
We eat this often -- a cold pasta salad usually with diced ham and cheese
But this time there was crab and shrimp in it!
This was bought..but its a VERY popular food "Shwarmas" - Its an Arabic
food...vendors everywhere! So delicious! Its a pouch/wrap with whatever you
want inside -- Yummmmmm!
Our host mom makes the best vegetables I've ever had. I could eat them for
an entire meal! The meat was some sort of fish..if you look closely there were
some scales on it..but the seasoning was BOMB so I didn't even care (:
This past Saturday my program took a trip to Sevilla! A city about 3 1/2 hours away (bus ride). It was gorgeous!--Another place the parents want to visit so I can't share too much.... But maybe afterwards I will. We saw the giant plaza where some footage of a Star Wars movie was filmed! A giant Cathedral and spent a lot of time by the river watching Rowing teams race each other! Beautiful day -- full of sun! Sevilla is neat because there are horse drawn carriages everywhere! Makes me miss Dolly : (



Then today we went to a Futbol game! We watched Granada play Real Sociedad (from Northern Spain)! And the home team won! 4-1! The division is considered to be "Pro" so needless to say the game was intense. If you think Hawkeye fans are outspoken and crazy...you should come to Granada! Definitely some loyal fans! haha Definitely an experience I wouldn't want to trade!


And a beautiful day in Granada. After the game we came back, had some lunch, then I enjoyed the weather by going up to the Albycin --which I had talked about earlier-- it looks over the Alhambra. Very busy up there today, lots of people playing music, selling jewelry and artwork, and just enjoying the amazing view. Topped my day off with some Churros, skyping with my family, little bit of homework, and updating my blog!!
Probably should mention that I went to the Albycin with my Boyfriend...
I know, I know, and I wanted to bring home a Jose or Pedro for Grandpa
Daryl...but looks like I got an Austin instead. (Aww...puke. haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment